Connect with us

News

Sri Lanka clinch a thriller to reach Finals of Womens Asia Cup 2024

Published

on

Chamari Athapaththu’s calm innings of 63 runs set the stage for Sri Lanka’s exciting 3-wicket victory over Pakistan in the semi-final of the Women’s Asia Cup 2024 held at Dambulla International Stadium on Friday. The win has now paved the way for Sri Lanka to face defending champions India in the final on Sunday. Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to field first, allowing Pakistan to bat. Pakistan managed to score 140-4 in their 20 overs, and Sri Lanka successfully chased down the target in 19.5 overs, largely due to Chamari Athapaththu’s impressive half-century.

Pakistan’s opening pair, Gull Feroza and Muneeba Ali, established a strong partnership, accumulating 61 runs before Feroza was dismissed for 25 runs by Udeshika Prabodhani. Muneeba also fell in the same over after scoring 37 runs off 34 balls. Sidra Amin, batting at number three, was unable to make a significant contribution, scoring 10 runs off 13 deliveries before being dismissed. Captain Nida Dar played a quick innings, scoring 23 runs off 17 balls. Fatima Sana (23 off 17) and Aliya Riaz (16 off 15) also made valuable contributions towards Pakistan’s total of 141 runs. Sri Lanka’s Udeshika Prabodhani and Kavisha Dilhari each took two wickets.

In reply, Sri Lanka had a poor beginning, losing two quick wickets in the initial four overs. Nonetheless, captain Chamari Athapaththu anchored the innings with a vital score of 63 runs before departing in crucial time of the game.

However, Anushka Sanjeewani who held her ground until the end, played a crucial role of unbeaten 24 runs to push Sri Lanka over the line with a ball to spare.

In bowling front, Sadia Iqbal shone as the top bowler for Pakistan, taking four wickets. Nida Dar and Omaima Sohail also chipped in with one wicket each.

Sri Lanka is set to compete against India in the final match on July 28th in Dambulla.

Cricket

Ex-Selection Head Seeks Written Clarification From Sports Ministry

Published

on

By

Former national selector and ex-fast bowler Pramodya Wickramasinghe has sought an official explanation from the Sports Ministry and Sri Lanka Cricket following reports that his tenure as chairman of the national selection panel had been cut short ahead of schedule.

In a letter sent on May 21 to Sports Minister Sunil Kumara Gamage, Wickramasinghe said he had only been verbally informed about discussions surrounding a move to end his appointment early and reorganize the Selection Committee structure.

The development comes just a day before the appointment of a new national selection panel by the Sports Ministry on Thursday, effectively replacing the existing committee.

Wickramasinghe stated that his appointment had originally been approved in December 2025 for a fixed two-year term. He noted that, despite widespread reports regarding the restructuring, he had not received any formal written communication confirming the termination of his role.

In his letter, Wickramasinghe requested that either the ministry or Sri Lanka Cricket provide official written notification outlining the decision and the administrative grounds for ending his contract before its expiry.

He stressed that proper communication was essential to maintain transparency and professionalism during the transition process.

“In order to ensure that all administrative transitions are handled with the utmost transparency, adherence to proper protocol, and mutual respect, I kindly and respectfully request that your office or Sri Lanka Cricket provide me with formal, written notification of this decision,” Wickramasinghe stated in the letter.

The former selection chief further said that receiving formal confirmation would allow him to complete his duties in an orderly manner and ensure that official records accurately reflected the end of his tenure.

Continue Reading

Cricket

New Sri Lanka Cricket Chiefs Promise Sweeping Reforms

Published

on

By

Sri Lanka Cricket’s interim administration has launched a major clean-up operation after uncovering what officials describe as extensive financial mismanagement within the governing body.

Speaking at his first press conference since taking charge last month, interim president Eran Wickramaratne announced that a forensic audit had been ordered to examine the organisation’s accounts in detail.

According to Wickramaratne, the scale of the suspected irregularities exceeded initial expectations, prompting urgent calls for structural reforms and tighter oversight within Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC).

The current administration was appointed by the government of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake following the resignation of the previous elected committee in April. The move sparked concerns over possible disciplinary action from the International Cricket Council (ICC), which prohibits political interference in cricket boards.

Sri Lanka Cricket had previously faced a two-month suspension from the ICC in 2023 under similar circumstances.

However, Wickramaratne said discussions with the global governing body had been positive and cooperative.

“Our engagement with the ICC has been constructive from the beginning,” he said. “We have kept the process transparent, and they have encouraged reforms carried out through proper and open procedures.”

The interim administration is now working on introducing a new constitution designed to strengthen governance and prevent individuals or groups from holding influence over the board for extended periods.

The resignation of former SLC president Shammi Silva and his committee cleared the way for the latest restructuring effort, which comes amid wider criticism over the board’s management and the national team’s recent performances.

Sri Lanka’s early exit from this year’s T20 World Cup jointly hosted with India intensified public frustration and added pressure for change within the country’s cricket establishment.

Continue Reading

Cricket

Kapila Wijegunawardene Replaces Pramodya as Sri Lanka Cricket Chief Selector

Published

on

By

Former Sri Lanka cricketer Kapila Wijegunawardene has been appointed as the new Chief Selector of Sri Lanka Cricket, replacing Pramodya Wickramasinghe at the head of the national selection panel.

The appointment was approved by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports following a request made by Sri Lanka Cricket on May 20, 2026.

Alongside Wijegunawardene, the newly named selection committee includes Amal Silva, Brendon Kuruppu, Varuna Waragoda, and Vanessa de Silva.

The new panel is expected to oversee national team selections and player evaluations across all formats as Sri Lanka prepares for a demanding international schedule in the coming months.

Cricket observers believe the inclusion of several experienced former players could bring renewed direction to the country’s selection process.

Continue Reading

Trending