Connect with us

News

Rafa Nadal wins Roland Garros for a mind-blowing 13th time

Published

on

Nadal made astonishingly quick work of them both in the French Open final, overwhelming Djokovic, the world’s No. 1 player, 6-0, 6-2, 7-5, to equal Federer’s record of 20 Grand Slam singles titles.

Source : https://www.facebook.com/Nadal/

It was quite possibly Nadal’s finest performance at Roland Garros, which sounds like a reach considering that he had already won 12 Grand Slam singles title on the same rectangle of red clay.

But there was nothing unlucky about No. 13. He was on target from the opening game, breaking Djokovic’s serve under the closed roof at the Philippe Chatrier Court. Nadal, 34 years old but still an irresistible force, ripped groundstrokes with depth and purpose, hunted down drop shots, read Djokovic’s mind and serve and kept his unforced errors to a strict minimum. He made just two in the opening set — one of those on the opening point — and 14 in the match, giving his more erratic and increasingly edgy rival little time or space to find his mojo.

Djokovic, the 2016 French Open champion, is one of only two men to beat Nadal at Roland Garros. He had defeated Nadal in their last three Grand Slam matches against each other.

The most recent of those came at the 2019 Australian Open final, where Djokovic overwhelmed Nadal, 6-3, 6-2, 6-3, in what Djokovic still maintains was the finest performance of his career.

But that rout took place on a hardcourt, Djokovic’s best surface, at the major tournament he has won most often. Sunday’s payback came in Nadal’s kingdom.

Djokovic had not lost a completed match in all of 2020, his only defeat coming in the fourth round of the United States Open when he was disqualified for striking a ball and inadvertently hitting a line umpire in the throat.

Cricket

New Sri Lanka Cricket Chiefs Promise Sweeping Reforms

Published

on

By

Sri Lanka Cricket’s interim administration has launched a major clean-up operation after uncovering what officials describe as extensive financial mismanagement within the governing body.

Speaking at his first press conference since taking charge last month, interim president Eran Wickramaratne announced that a forensic audit had been ordered to examine the organisation’s accounts in detail.

According to Wickramaratne, the scale of the suspected irregularities exceeded initial expectations, prompting urgent calls for structural reforms and tighter oversight within Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC).

The current administration was appointed by the government of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake following the resignation of the previous elected committee in April. The move sparked concerns over possible disciplinary action from the International Cricket Council (ICC), which prohibits political interference in cricket boards.

Sri Lanka Cricket had previously faced a two-month suspension from the ICC in 2023 under similar circumstances.

However, Wickramaratne said discussions with the global governing body had been positive and cooperative.

“Our engagement with the ICC has been constructive from the beginning,” he said. “We have kept the process transparent, and they have encouraged reforms carried out through proper and open procedures.”

The interim administration is now working on introducing a new constitution designed to strengthen governance and prevent individuals or groups from holding influence over the board for extended periods.

The resignation of former SLC president Shammi Silva and his committee cleared the way for the latest restructuring effort, which comes amid wider criticism over the board’s management and the national team’s recent performances.

Sri Lanka’s early exit from this year’s T20 World Cup jointly hosted with India intensified public frustration and added pressure for change within the country’s cricket establishment.

Continue Reading

Cricket

Kapila Wijegunawardene Replaces Pramodya as Sri Lanka Cricket Chief Selector

Published

on

By

Former Sri Lanka cricketer Kapila Wijegunawardene has been appointed as the new Chief Selector of Sri Lanka Cricket, replacing Pramodya Wickramasinghe at the head of the national selection panel.

The appointment was approved by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports following a request made by Sri Lanka Cricket on May 20, 2026.

Alongside Wijegunawardene, the newly named selection committee includes Amal Silva, Brendon Kuruppu, Varuna Waragoda, and Vanessa de Silva.

The new panel is expected to oversee national team selections and player evaluations across all formats as Sri Lanka prepares for a demanding international schedule in the coming months.

Cricket observers believe the inclusion of several experienced former players could bring renewed direction to the country’s selection process.

Continue Reading

Cricket

Sanath Jayasuriya Steps Down from Sri Lanka Cricket High Performance Role

Published

on

By

Former Sri Lankan cricket legend and former head coach Sanath Jayasuriya has officially resigned from his position as Consultant to Sri Lanka Cricket’s High Performance Centre, with his resignation set to take effect at the end of this month.

In a letter addressed to the recently appointed Cricket Transformation Committee, Jayasuriya stated that he had become aware of concerns raised by several committee members regarding his dual roles within Sri Lankan cricket administration.

The concerns reportedly centered on his appointment to the High Performance Centre while simultaneously serving as President of the Matara District Cricket Association, which some believed could create a potential conflict of interest.

Jayasuriya noted that his decision to step down was made in the best interests of transparency and the future development of Sri Lankan cricket. He emphasized his continued commitment to supporting the sport and nurturing young talent despite leaving the consultancy role.

Widely regarded as one of Sri Lanka’s greatest cricketers, Jayasuriya has remained actively involved in cricket administration and player development since retiring from international cricket. His resignation comes at a time when Sri Lanka Cricket is undergoing significant structural reforms aimed at improving governance and performance standards.

Officials from Sri Lanka Cricket have yet to issue a formal statement regarding the resignation.

Continue Reading

Trending