Connect with us

News

‘My life is normal again’: Cricketer Danushka Gunathilaka cleared of rape

Published

on

Sri Lankan international cricketer Danushka Gunathilaka says he is eager to return to the game and rebuild his reputation after he was acquitted of sexual assault by a Sydney judge who said the evidence established there was “no opportunity” for him to have removed a condom during sex.

The 32-year-old batsman was accused of “stealthing” during sex with a 29-year-old woman at her eastern suburbs home in November last year. He pleaded not guilty to sexual intercourse without consent and faced a four-day trial before Judge Sarah Huggett in Downing Centre District Court.

Delivering a verdict of not guilty on Thursday, the judge said: “The evidence establishes that there was no opportunity for the accused to remove the condom … because that intercourse was continuous.”

Outside court, Gunathilaka told reporters the verdict “says everything”. He thanked his lawyers, manager, parents, and others in Sri Lanka for their support during the “hard time” over the past 11 months.

“Everyone believed me, so that means a lot to me,” he said, adding that he wants to get his reputation back.

“I’m happy that my life is normal again, so I can’t wait to go back and play cricket.”

The trial heard Gunathilaka, also known as Danny, and the woman matched on Tinder on October 29.

On their November 2 date, they had drinks at the Opera Bar, dinner at Frankie’s Pizza, and caught a ferry to the complainant’s home, where Gunathilaka recorded her playing guitar and singing.

“The mood as captured by those videos seemed relaxed, happy, and playful,” the judge said.

The woman alleged Gunathilaka kissed her forcefully and slapped her buttocks on the ferry to her house, and “ambushed” her by pushing her back on the lounge. She accepted under cross-examination she had said “Let’s go to my room” and lit candles “to create a mood”.

The woman claimed Gunathilaka choked her at least three times and slapped her buttocks during forceful intercourse in her bedroom for 10 to 15 minutes.

She said she noticed a condom on her bedroom floor within three to five seconds of the sex ending. The woman alleged Gunathilaka threw it there, but did not see him do it.

Huggett said the complainant came across as intelligent and “did not strike me as a witness motivated by a desire to give deliberately false evidence”.

“However, there were occasions when I formed the impression that some of her evidence had the appearance of being motivated by a desire to paint the accused in an unfavorable light,” she said.

She said it was “hardly surprising” the woman had seen a used condom on the ground afterwards, as “on any account, a used condom was removed”.

“The complainant did not see how or when the condom found its way to the position on the floor.”

Gunathilaka was arrested in the early hours of November 6 in the Hyatt Regency Hotel as the Sri Lanka team left for the airport. He let police search his hotel room, where they found a Burberry satchel bag containing two wrapped condoms.

“That he would wear a condom on occasion is supported by the fact that two unused condoms were located in his property,” the judge said.

Gunathilaka participated in a two-and-a-half hour recorded interview. Asked by police “At any point, did you put your penis into her without a condom on?” Gunathilaka replied, “No, no, no.”

He admitted he had told the woman he did not like to have sex with a condom, and she was the one who got a packet out.

“I never said ‘I want to do it without condoms’, and we did it with condoms,” Gunathilaka said.

The judge said Gunathilaka “answered every question asked of him in the interview, and I formed the distinct impression he was doing his best to be truthful and assist the police”.

“There is no reason at all to reject or disbelieve what he said in that interview,” Huggett said.

Huggett criticized the way police had dealt with the initial complaint, including taking notes on scraps of paper that made no reference to stealthing and which were destroyed “for no good reason at all”.

“Aspects of the handling of her complaint were far from satisfactory and, to be frank, very concerning,” the judge said.

Gunathilaka’s junior barrister Emma Sullivan told the court she was instructed to apply for costs. The matter will return to court on October 4.

Gunathilaka was suspended from cricket after his arrest. He made his international debut in 2015 and has represented Sri Lanka in more than 100 matches including eight Tests. He travelled to Australia for the T20 World Cup but was ruled out with a hamstring tear after playing one match.

He was granted a judge-alone trial due in part to pre-trial media interest. The proceedings were expedited by consent after the court heard he financially supported his parents with his earnings.

Cricket

Sri Lanka Stunned by Zimbabwe Despite 178 as Bowling Falters in Colombo

Published

on

By

Sri Lanka’s T20 World Cup campaign suffered a major setback as they went down to Zimbabwe by six wickets at the R. Premadasa Stadium — a result few predicted before the first ball was bowled.

After winning the toss and opting to bat, Sri Lanka posted what appeared to be a competitive 178/7. But defensive bowling and a lack of control in key moments allowed Zimbabwe to chase down 179 with three balls to spare, finishing on 182/4 in 19.3 overs.

Where Sri Lanka Lost the Game

Strong Start, Poor Finish with the Bat

Sri Lanka flew out of the blocks, scoring 61 runs in the Powerplay.

  • Pathum Nissanka led the charge with a fluent 62 off 41 balls.
  • The opening stand raced to 54 inside five overs.

However, momentum dipped sharply in the middle overs:

  • Kusal Mendis struggled (14 off 20).
  • The run rate slowed between overs 7–14.
  • Despite a late push from Pavan Rathnayake (44 off 25), Sri Lanka managed only 28 runs in the final three overs.

From a position of dominance at 108/2, they could not push beyond the 185–190 mark — a total that, in hindsight, proved costly.

Failure to Strike Early with the Ball

Zimbabwe’s chase was built on a solid foundation:

  • 55 runs in the Powerplay without losing a wicket.
  • 69-run opening stand removed early pressure.

Sri Lanka never truly regained control.

The Raza–Bennett Counterattack

The turning point came when captain Sikandar Raza launched a brutal counterattack:

  • 45 off 26 balls
  • 4 sixes
  • 50-run partnership in just 27 balls

Brian Bennett anchored the chase superbly with an unbeaten 63 off 48.

Raza’s assault in overs 15–18 shifted the momentum completely, taking the game away from Sri Lanka just when it seemed evenly poised.

Bowling Concerns Under Lights

Sri Lanka’s bowling lacked penetration:

  • Maheesh Theekshana conceded 47 in 3.3 overs (13.42 economy).
  • No early breakthroughs from the seamers.
  • Only one Powerplay wicket across both innings combined.

On a Colombo surface that slowed slightly, Zimbabwe adapted better, rotating strike efficiently before accelerating at the death.

Key Numbers That Hurt Sri Lanka

  • Zimbabwe Powerplay: 55/0
  • Sri Lanka Powerplay wickets: 0
  • Zimbabwe scored 150 in just 16.1 overs
  • Sri Lanka conceded 9.33 runs per over in the chase

What This Means

Sri Lanka entered as favourites, especially batting first at home. But tactical lapses, middle-over stagnation, and expensive spells under pressure proved decisive.

Zimbabwe, disciplined with the ball and fearless in the chase, fully deserved their two points.

For Sri Lanka, questions now emerge:

  • Is the bowling attack lacking bite?
  • Are middle overs becoming a recurring concern?
  • Was 178 ever going to be enough on this surface?

With tougher fixtures ahead in the T20 World Cup, Sri Lanka must regroup quickly — because performances like this could derail their campaign early.

Continue Reading

Cricket

Sri Lanka Sweats on Pathirana Injury; Hasaranga Comeback on the Cards

Published

on

By

Sri Lanka’s ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 campaign has suffered a major setback, with fast bowler Matheesha Pathirana likely to miss the remainder of the tournament due to injury.

The 23-year-old sustained a calf injury during Sri Lanka’s Group B encounter against Australia on Monday at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium. The incident occurred in his opening over when, after delivering the fourth ball, Pathirana suddenly pulled up clutching his left calf before collapsing to the ground in visible discomfort.

Team physiotherapists rushed onto the field as concerned teammates gathered around. The pacer was unable to leave the field without assistance, immediately raising concerns about the severity of the injury. Captain Dasun Shanaka completed the over in his absence.

Shortly after, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) confirmed that Pathirana would take no further part in the match. In a brief statement, SLC said the bowler had experienced discomfort in his left calf and would undergo medical scans for a full assessment.

Major Blow to Pace Attack

Initial indications suggest the injury could rule Pathirana out for the rest of the World Cup — a significant loss for Sri Lanka’s bowling unit. Known for his slingy action and deadly yorkers, especially at the death, Pathirana has been one of Sri Lanka’s most reliable T20 strike bowlers.

If ruled out, team management is expected to consider Dilshan Madushanka or Nuwan Thushara as potential replacements. While both offer pace and variety, replacing Pathirana’s unique skillset will be a challenge.

Hasaranga Return Under Discussion

In a parallel development, Sri Lanka are reportedly exploring the possibility of bringing Wanindu Hasaranga back into the squad as he continues recovery from a hamstring injury.

Although Hasaranga has not yet regained full match fitness, officials are said to be evaluating whether he could feature later in the tournament — particularly if Sri Lanka qualify for the Super Eight stage.

With their final group match effectively a dead rubber, Sri Lanka have a short window to reassess their injury situation and make strategic decisions. The team management is likely to wait for clearer medical reports before confirming any squad changes.

As the tournament enters a decisive phase, Sri Lanka’s hopes may depend as much on fitness updates as on performances on the field.

Continue Reading

Cricket

Colombo Set for High-Voltage India–Pakistan Night Battle

Published

on

By

ICC Men’s T20 Cricket World Cup

Colombo is preparing for one of cricket’s biggest nights as India and Pakistan meet in a marquee clash of the ICC Men’s T20 Cricket World Cup at the R. Premadasa Stadium on Sunday.

Beyond tactics and statistics, this is a contest built on history and pride. With both teams in form and World Cup ambitions on the line, Sunday night promises a high-quality contest under the Colombo lights.

Continue Reading

Trending