News
Aston Villa Secure Loan Move for PSG Midfielder Marco Asensio
Aston Villa have strengthened their squad with the signing of Spanish midfielder Marco Asensio on a loan deal from Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) until the end of the season. The 29-year-old, who previously won three UEFA Champions League titles with Real Madrid, becomes Villa’s fourth signing of the winter transfer window.
Key Details of the Transfer:
- Club: Aston Villa (Loan)
- Previous Club: Paris Saint-Germain (PSG)
- Contract Duration: Until the end of the 2024 season
- Option to Buy: No
- Wages: Fully covered by Aston Villa
Asensio’s Career and Achievements
Since joining PSG in the summer of 2023, Asensio has netted seven goals in 47 appearances. Despite helping the club win Ligue 1 last season, he has struggled for regular game time this term, making just eight league starts. On the international stage, he was a part of Spain’s Nations League-winning squad in 2023.
Aston Villa’s Busy Transfer Window
Villa have been highly active in the January transfer market, completing deals for:

Marcus Rashford (Loan from Manchester United with a £40m buy option)

Donyell Malen (Signed from Borussia Dortmund for £19m)

Andres Garcia (Signed from Levante for £6m plus add-ons)
Additionally, the club offloaded striker Jhon Duran to Saudi Pro League side Al-Nassr for £71m and defender Diego Carlos to Fenerbahce for £8.45m. They also loaned young winger Samuel Iling-Junior to Middlesbrough for the remainder of the season.
Asensio’s Expected Debut
The Spanish midfielder could make his Aston Villa debut against Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday (17:35 GMT), a match that will be broadcast live on BBC One and iPlayer. Villa, currently eighth in the Premier League, are also preparing for their upcoming Champions League Round of 16 tie.
Cricket
New Sri Lanka Cricket Chiefs Promise Sweeping Reforms
Sri Lanka Cricket’s interim administration has launched a major clean-up operation after uncovering what officials describe as extensive financial mismanagement within the governing body.
Speaking at his first press conference since taking charge last month, interim president Eran Wickramaratne announced that a forensic audit had been ordered to examine the organisation’s accounts in detail.
According to Wickramaratne, the scale of the suspected irregularities exceeded initial expectations, prompting urgent calls for structural reforms and tighter oversight within Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC).
The current administration was appointed by the government of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake following the resignation of the previous elected committee in April. The move sparked concerns over possible disciplinary action from the International Cricket Council (ICC), which prohibits political interference in cricket boards.
Sri Lanka Cricket had previously faced a two-month suspension from the ICC in 2023 under similar circumstances.
However, Wickramaratne said discussions with the global governing body had been positive and cooperative.
“Our engagement with the ICC has been constructive from the beginning,” he said. “We have kept the process transparent, and they have encouraged reforms carried out through proper and open procedures.”
The interim administration is now working on introducing a new constitution designed to strengthen governance and prevent individuals or groups from holding influence over the board for extended periods.
The resignation of former SLC president Shammi Silva and his committee cleared the way for the latest restructuring effort, which comes amid wider criticism over the board’s management and the national team’s recent performances.
Sri Lanka’s early exit from this year’s T20 World Cup jointly hosted with India intensified public frustration and added pressure for change within the country’s cricket establishment.
Cricket
Kapila Wijegunawardene Replaces Pramodya as Sri Lanka Cricket Chief Selector
Former Sri Lanka cricketer Kapila Wijegunawardene has been appointed as the new Chief Selector of Sri Lanka Cricket, replacing Pramodya Wickramasinghe at the head of the national selection panel.
The appointment was approved by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports following a request made by Sri Lanka Cricket on May 20, 2026.
Alongside Wijegunawardene, the newly named selection committee includes Amal Silva, Brendon Kuruppu, Varuna Waragoda, and Vanessa de Silva.
The new panel is expected to oversee national team selections and player evaluations across all formats as Sri Lanka prepares for a demanding international schedule in the coming months.
Cricket observers believe the inclusion of several experienced former players could bring renewed direction to the country’s selection process.
Cricket
Sanath Jayasuriya Steps Down from Sri Lanka Cricket High Performance Role
Former Sri Lankan cricket legend and former head coach Sanath Jayasuriya has officially resigned from his position as Consultant to Sri Lanka Cricket’s High Performance Centre, with his resignation set to take effect at the end of this month.
In a letter addressed to the recently appointed Cricket Transformation Committee, Jayasuriya stated that he had become aware of concerns raised by several committee members regarding his dual roles within Sri Lankan cricket administration.
The concerns reportedly centered on his appointment to the High Performance Centre while simultaneously serving as President of the Matara District Cricket Association, which some believed could create a potential conflict of interest.
Jayasuriya noted that his decision to step down was made in the best interests of transparency and the future development of Sri Lankan cricket. He emphasized his continued commitment to supporting the sport and nurturing young talent despite leaving the consultancy role.
Widely regarded as one of Sri Lanka’s greatest cricketers, Jayasuriya has remained actively involved in cricket administration and player development since retiring from international cricket. His resignation comes at a time when Sri Lanka Cricket is undergoing significant structural reforms aimed at improving governance and performance standards.
Officials from Sri Lanka Cricket have yet to issue a formal statement regarding the resignation.
-
Football1 year agoSri Lanka Schools National Championship 2025: Super 8 Fixtures and Grouping
-
News1 year ago2025 Schools Rugby Season Set to Thrill Fans with Knockout and League Action
-
Cricket12 months agoNuwan Thushara Shines as RCB Storms into IPL 2025 Final
-
Cricket1 year agoSri Lanka’s Greatest Cricketers: Top Batters and Bowlers of All Time
-
Live5 years agoLive Broadcast of Syria vs Sri Lanka | AFC U23 Asian Championship Qualification
-
News12 months agoMajor Shake-Up in Sports Governance: New 2025 Regulations Reform National Sports Bodies in Sri Lanka
-
Football1 year agoFFSL Rebrands Division-1 as ‘League-One’ with a Bold New Vision
-
Football1 year agoSri Lanka Announces U19 Football Squad for SAFF Championship 2025


You must be logged in to post a comment Login